Allegory of the Cave

The Allegory of the cave was written by the great philosopher, Plato. In this story, Plato imagines a world where people are tied down in a cave, facing a wall. A fire is behind them, but the people cannot turn their heads and they are unable to see the fire. Other people are the people casting shadows on the wall that the people can see. The people, who can only see the wall, think that the shadows are the ones doing the actual speaking. In class today, we read this story. I was really confused when Mr. Schick and Lily were reading the story because I couldn't seem to get the story. Just hearing the words made it really hard for me to comprehend. Everyone was sharing their thoughts and was explaining what the story meant to them. I felt left out. I wanted to share ideas, but I had no idea what to say. However, by the end, when we went over the story, I understood most of the concept. I think why it was so hard for me to understand was because the idea is so complex. It amazes me that Plato could even think of this concept/idea. How did he come across this idea? I don't really know a lot about Plato, but I really liked his idea and I thought the story was really cool. It takes an immense amount of courage to go against everyone's ideas/beliefs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cyber School Begins!

Ancient Greece Haiku

Essay Question